Thursday, September 4, 2008

Lessons Learned

The lessons really aren't learned for very long. How long the lessons actually stay in one's mind depends on how traumatic the disaster is.

- B. Wayne Blanchard, Emergency Management Institute



I'm getting ready to move my office at work later this month and I've been buzy sorting through stuff. I have a stack of magazines that I don't want to move so I'm spending the time to flip though them.

I've been doing my job for a little over 6 years now, and have only had to respond to disasters in the past year and a half. Nothing major had occured in the previous years.
I worry that if we go though another four+ years of no major disasters that we are going to lose what we learned over the past year and a half.

I also see where this applies to every day life. How many times do we as humans repeat our mistakes. How bad does it have to be before we honestly mean, "I'll never do that again." Can we really learn from others mistakes? How bad does their mistake have to be before we really do learn from it?

I was playing a video game this past weekend and it was pointed out to me that I kept making the same mistakes over and over again. I didn't realize this, but someone from the outside watching noticed. Maybe we just need to have those people in our life point out when we keep repeating our mistakes.




No comments: