Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Mr. Blackwell: From Rags to Bitches


I had acquired this book from our annual library booksale. On Sunday (the final day of the sale) when it is $3 a bag you can be more experimental than usual. Anyway, I had seen his "worst dressed list" and was curious to find out what kind of a guy he was. He had died a few weeks ago, and this book was in my site. I'm trying to read books from the sale and give them back. I might do bookcrossing.com with some of the paperbacks.

This was a very easy read. There were times in the beginning that I didn't care for him, but as I read the book I actually grew to like him. Did you know that Howard Hughes gave him his last name, Blackwell? I'm also a bit jealous of his relationship with Robert Spencer. Robert was his partner for 60 years. I was very surprised that they lasted. Blackwell was very tempermental and selfish, but Spencer stuck by him. Don't think it was for the money and fame because when they got together Spencer was the one supporting him. Eventually Spencer was his manager and right hand man.

I do think that Blackwell was very honest. As I said there were times that I didn't care for him as a person. He never really tried to defend himself either. He was pretty much this is my life and what I did. I have no regrets.

That is the way to live - with no regrets.

No comments: