Saturday, November 15, 2008

P.S. I Love You



I like Chick Flicks. Not only do I like them but I love them. This one a fantastic one. Holly (Hilary Swank) and Jerry (Gerald Butler) are a married couple. The scene before the credits are them in a fight, however, by the end of the scene you see how in love they are. Her father left when she was 14 and he tells her that he will never leave. After the credits we are seeing his memorial service, Jerry died of a brain tumor. He has the memorial service that I would hope to have when I go - I don't want anything that is formal.


On her 30th birthday he sends her a letter telling her there will be more to follow and she must do what the letters tell her to do. In the end he wants her to find the girl he met when she was 19 years old and traveling Ireland. She had no idea what she wanted to do with her life, but she was full of dreams. The final goal was for her to realize that while she was his life, he is only a chapter in her life.


I don't know if I will ever have a love like that, but this movie tells me that great love still does exist. I've seen a few marriages that I do hope to have one like that someday. However, I also realize what we see on the outside isn't necessairly on the inside. In many ways I do feel that i my destiny to enjoy the journey by life on my own and not with that great partner.


In some ways I am reminded of the movie My Life with Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman. However, this was to help his wife heal instead guiding an infant son to be a man. Probably because I lost my father I love the movies that reach to us beyond the grave.


Hilary Swank did an excellent job. She usually does such serious movies and I am glad she chose this one. I have grown to like her as an individual because she still seems to be a real person.


Gerald Butler's Jerry is the boyfriend/husband I think most women would love to have in their lives. I've enjoyed him very much in Phantom of the Opera. I haven't seen a lot of his work but I have enjoyed watching him on Jay Leno and the other talk shows.


Lisa Kudrow's character was great. She gave me some great ideas for meeting guys. Are you single? Are you gay? Are you working? Then kiss them - and either stay or walk off.


James Blunt's the Same Mistake is a great song for the movie too. How many times if would we make the same mistakes knowing how it would turn ouut and end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This movie was so cute, I cried so much throughout. If you ever wanted to do what Jerry did for real, you could do it on www.farawayfish.com, where you can store a profile all about your life and save emails to be sent to your loved ones after you've passed away. So romantic!